Will removing event types break LiveWhale Calendar?

Hi all. I’m being asked to remove the descriptive event types from our calendar and replace them with three decidedly non-descriptive event types. This is a terrible idea, and I’m against it. I’m trying to make a case against it, and I’m wondering if there’s anything on the back end of LiveWhale that would work improperly if event types were effectively removed.

The advice in this section of the setup guide — Setting up LiveWhale Calendar - LiveWhale Support — is very good, and I’m planning on including it, but at this point any additional information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks very much,
Brian Byrne
Web Content Administrator
University of Central Oklahoma

Hi Brian,

Thanks for sharing this – for better and for worse, nothing in LiveWhale Calendar will break if you stop using (or start removing) Event Types. Generally for folks who are reorganizing their categories, we suggest first adding more and then you can use the “Merge Event Types” in the “With checked items” dropdown—that way you can preserve connections to existing events. But, if you remove an Event Type from the admin interface, it’ll disappear from editors and the front-end, no breakage I can think of.

You might also consider testing out this kind of a reorganization on dev first, to see how it feels when done, before doing on production? Let us know if we can offer any other advice on this front! Thanks Brian.

Karl

Thanks Karl, I appreciate the information.