CSS Theme Files: MIME Mismatch

On my work laptop, MacBook with Chrome, I’m getting the following for most of our CSS files.

Refused to apply style from 'https://www.beloit.edu/live/resource/css/_i/themes/global/styles/livewhale.rev.1722627723.css' because its MIME type ('text/html') is not a supported stylesheet MIME type, and strict MIME checking is enabled.

I assume this is something to do with LiveWhale’s theme management (folder file to <link>), and I’m concerned this may be affecting general users.

Making a quick post before a meeting; will try and look more closely myself later. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Hey Nick, Sorry to hear this is giving you trouble. I’m not currently able to reproduce this on my Mac/Chrome browser tests at any URLs on your site. Let me know if you have a specific example you’d like for us to test? Thanks.

Right, so I had a moment to actually poke at this and not simply fear that it was some developing issue.

• I noticed in the above images that the files were properly notated in the HTML and triggered an error.
  • I looked up the error and found that it could be triggered when the resource was not available.
  • I checked the files which failed to load and found them all to be 404 - Not Found on the laptop.

For instance:

However, when I access with a personal computer, I get the same file URLs, and they load fine. Fun. It appears to be a system/browser issue where it can’t or won’t load them.

I did also notice that if I tried to open the above in their own tabs then remove the “rev.xyz”, the content would load. Seeing this, as a last attempt at anything, I tried ‘a related red debug button’. That seemed to have fixed the issue somehow, though it is a very excessive ‘solution’.

In the end, I’m not sure what the issue was between the browser and the resource cache. Hopefully just a one-off or very rare issue.

Thanks,
Nick