AP Style Questions

LiveWhale 2.9.0 introduced support for AP Style Date and Time Formatting. We just started playing around on our Dev site with $_LW->CONFIG['USE_AP_STYLE']=true;. We noticed some things that make us hesitant to use it.

One thing, specifically, is that LiveWhale removes the a.m./p.m. from start times when the end time also contains the same string. This makes sense if you want to display start and end times, but not if you just want to list the start time. Listing just the start time would result in something like “2”, instead of “2 p.m.”

For now, I’m just testing a bunch of customizations that take care of the most common AP Style issues, without enabling that specific config. I’m just curious if others have enabled it successfully.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for giving AP Style a spin! We do have a few calendar schools who are using it in the wild, and I don’t see the “2” (instead of “2 p.m.”) issue arising on those calendars.

Let us know if you have steps-to-reproduce the issue you’re seeing and, assuming we can reproduce it, feels like an easy thing for us to roll a fix for into a future upgrade. Thanks!

Thanks. We’ve got a lot of calendar updates cued up on Dev that we are close to moving to Prod. I may have to revisit the AP Style thing when those updates are done, and I can play around on Dev more without affecting our current testing.

I’m pretty sure I was just using {start_time} in a widget when I saw the missing a.m./p.m., but I’ll have to confirm when I can try it on Dev again.

I totally missed this being added. I will have to dive into the details. Thanks for the heads up!